UACS welcomes International Students!
“Follow the sun to the land where history meets the future, experience Skopje.”
Immersing yourself in different culture might be the greatest educational opportunity you will ever have. Not only will you be living in Skopje, studying at an international university but you can be two hours away from any European capital city.
Whether this is your first time abroad or not, you will experience life as you never have before. Living in Macedonia will be an experience of a lifetime for you, so pack your bags and get ready to enjoy.
International Students Service
The International Student Services office at University American College Skopje is set-up to assist and guide International students a on a range of issues and services before their arrival and while they are enrolled at UACS.
Our mission is to facilitate international students’ admittance to Macedonia, to assist international students’ transition to student life at UACS and to provide services and support necessary to meet the special needs of our international students.
The services necessary to accomplish the office mission are as diverse as the student population itself. However, there are several essential areas of services that include:
• Assistance in obtaining a student visa for Macedonia
• Approving student status and issuance of student invitation letter
• International student orientation, cultural orientation and language assistance
• Finding student accommodations in nearby locations
• Assistance in credential evaluation prescribed by the HEA of the Republic of Macedonia
• Assistance in obtaining a residential permit for Macedonia
• Assistance in securing a personal insurance health plan if not covered by own country
Contact International Student Service Office:
International Student Officer Mrs. Viktorija Gombar Janevska: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Student Enrollment
- Passport photocopy
- Three recent passport photos
- Application form signed with same signature as the passport
- Acceptant/Confirmation letter from UACS
- High school Diploma/Transcripts with Validitation from the Macedonian Ministry of Education
- Enrolment fee deposit (520 euro)
All non-Macedonian students must obtain a student visa for studying in Macedonia. They can apply for a visa at the nearest Macedonian embassy and start the student visa process 5-6 months prior to their arrival in Skopje.
- Orderly and legibly filled in visa application.
- Valid and recognized passport with validity period of at least 3 months longer than the intended stay of the foreign national in the Republic of Macedonia
- Proof of having an accommodation in Macedonia
- Proof for health insurance (translation of the original into Macedonian language by a certified court interpreter. If you posses European health insurance card bring that one)
- Proof of subsistence means of the applicant
- Orderly and legibly filled inapplication for issue/extension of temporary residence permit
- Colored photograph (of 3.5×4.5 cm dimensions) with a white background which faithfully portrays the applicant
- Proof of absence of criminal convictions issued by the foreigner’s home country and Proof that there is no criminal proceedings against you (translation of the original into Macedonian language by a certified court interpreter);
- Proof of sufficient knowledge of the language in which the studies will be conducted
- Certificate from the Educational Institution in Macedonia that the foreigner is a regular student there (in Macedonian)
- The study program issued from the Educational Institution in Macedonia (with the determined duration of the studies and the conditions for the enrollment in the subsequent year of studies)/ in Macedonian
Permit for stay (temporary resident permit for foreign students) in Macedonia
Student must register in the nearest local police station within 24 hours of his/her arrival in Macedonia
Skopje is the capital of Macedonia located on the Balkan Peninsula in Southeastern Europe bordering with the neighboring countries of Albania, Serbia, Bulgaria and Greece. Skopje has as a mild year-round climate characterized by chilly winters with moderate snow to hot and dry in the summer. Temperature extremes range from a high of 32°C (90°F) to a low of -3°C (26°F). Therefore, Macedonia has a moderate continental climate with average annual temperature of about 15 degrees Celsius.
Macedonia has population of 2.06 million people composed of various ethnic groups with the Macedonian language being the first official language and Albanian as a second language. The Macedonian national currency is the “Macedonian Denar”. ATMS for cash are available across the entire city of Skopje. Exchange offices are numerous in the city with exchange rates varying from 61.5denars/1€, 47.5denars/$1, and 75denars/1£.
Skopje’s main airport is Alexander the Great International Airport, which is 20 kilometers from Skopje and is connected with all major cities in Europe. Airlines that serve Skopje are: Wiz Air, Croatia Airlines, Adria Airways, Austrian Airlines, Cirrus, Alitalia, B&H Airlines, Czech Airlines, Edelweiss Air, Fly Dubai, Bell Air Europe, JAT Airways, Air Berlin and Turkish Airlines. The airport is accessed by the main highway E75 Belgrade-Skopje-Thessaloniki which connects it directly with the city of Skopje.
There is a public transport that connects the airport with the city of Skopje only for another popular public transport is getting around by taxi which is the fastest and the cheapest way 0.80€ for every two kilometers. Taxis are available to the city center (travel time – 25-30 minutes, for about 800 denars)
The UACS campus is located in the center of the city, and it is fully equipped with classrooms, computer labs with internet access, studying and reading rooms, a library, and a cafeteria. UACS arranges housing for students and helps find apartment accommodation in nearby locations. Monthly apartment rents range from €100 to €250 for a 2-room apartment (45-65 square meters). For the Summer semester, UACS may provide housing for double occupancy per night per person with 2 meals $20/day = $600 for 30 days.
Skopje has around 650,000 citizens and plays a vital part in the cultural and academic life of the country. Skopje’s exciting nightlife includes many indoor and outdoor cafe bars, as well as nightclubs and after-hour venues. Compared to many other European cities, Skopje is very affordable, making its nightlife and ever-expanding choice of quality restaurants even more accessible. The cost of a full meal in Skopje ranges from €5 to €25. In addition, there are several pizzerias and fast-food options ranging from €1 to €3, such as McDonald’s, Burger King, Domino’s, Spizzicoto, and Sedmica, as well as many small bakeries and cafes selling pastries such as burek (a pie with meat, cheese, or spinach).
Most public transport is provided by JSP, a state-controlled company providing 25 routes in the city. Tickets for JSP buses can be bought for 50 DEN (€0.80) at kiosks or 50 DEN (€0.80) upon boarding. Taxis are another popular public transport option (€1.00 for every two kilometers).
What to expect as a student?
As a new student at University American College-Skopje you are open to new experiences both in the academic and social life. UACS brings forth for you the word of excellent education combined with practical experience.
Before the start of the courses as an undergraduate student, one is exposed to the following events:
The orientation day is crucial for a freshman student in order for the individual to get acquainted with the atmosphere at the school campus.
On this day the student is exposed to the interior of the campus. The students are shows the classrooms, the amphitheatre rooms, the various administrative departments within the campus, the cafeteria which is located in two floors, the library etc.
The seminar for the freshman students is also important since it provides students with a significant learning experience through interaction with professors and members of the university.
The opening ceremony is the place and time where all freshman students are joined at a venue, usually held at Alexander Palace Hotel, in Skopje. This venue does not only bridge the communication gap between the students but also provides insights of what takes place within the halls of University American College-Skopje. The students are usually accompanied by their parents who are also welcomed to participate and feel the spirit of the University American College-Skopje. The opening ceremony involves special mentions to students and professors, acknowledging special achievements by the professors and moreover the students and the other participants are welcomed on a cocktail gathering.